Last updated October 2, 2015
Student Loan Strategies, LLC and its affiliates (collectively “SLS, we, our, or us”) wants you to be clear how we are using information and the ways in which you can protect your privacy.
This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) explains:
- What information we collect and why we collect it.
- How we use that information.
- The choices we offer, including how to access and update information.
This Notice discloses the current privacy practices for SLS, and your access to and use of our website (“site”) are subject to this Notice. By accessing and using this site, you are acknowledging and agreeing to the terms of the Notice. If you do not agree to our Notice, please do not use our site.
We have tried to keep this Notice as simple as possible, but if you are not familiar with terms like cookies, IP addresses, pixel tags and browsers, then read about these key terms first. Your privacy matters to SLS so whether you are new to SLS or a long-time user, please do take the time to get to know our practices. If you have any questions, consult this page.
1. Information We Collect
We collect information in two ways:
- Information you give us – For example, our services require you to sign up for a SLS Account. When you do, we’ll ask for personal information, like your name, email address, telephone number, certain financial information and credit card information.
- Information we get from your use of our services – We may collect information about the services that you use and how you use them, like when you visit a website that uses our advertising services or you view and interact with our ads and content. This information includes:
- Device information – We may collect device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number). SLS may associate your device identifiers or phone number with your SLS Account.
- Log information – When you use our services or view content provided by SLS, we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This may include:
- Details of how you used our service, such as your search queries.
- Telephone log information like your phone number, calling-party number, forwarding numbers, time and date of calls, duration of calls, SMS routing information and types of calls.
- Internet protocol address.
- Device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL.
- Cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your SLS Account.
- Location information – When you use a location-enabled SLS service, we may collect and process information about your actual location, like GPS signals sent by a mobile device.
- Unique application numbers – Certain services include a unique application number. This number and information about your installation (for example, the operating system type and application version number) may be sent to SLS when you install or uninstall that service or when that service periodically contacts our servers, such as for automatic updates.
- Local storage – We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
2. How We Use Information We Collect
We use the information we collect from all of our services to provide, maintain, protect and improve these services, to develop new ones, and to protect SLS and our partners, affiliates, service providers and users. We may also use this information to offer you tailored content.
When you contact SLS, we may keep a record of your communication to help solve any issues you might be facing. We may use your email address to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements.
We may use information collected from cookies and other technologies, like pixel tags, to improve your user experience and the overall quality of our services. We may combine personal information from one service with information, including personal information, from our partners, affiliates, service providers.
We will ask for your express consent before using your personal information for a purpose other than those that are set out in Section 5 of this Notice.
3. Transparency and Choice
People have different privacy concerns. Our goal is to be clear about what information we collect, so that you can make meaningful choices about how it is used. For example, you can view and edit your information provided by you on your SLS account.
You may also set your browser to block all cookies, including cookies associated with our services, or to indicate when a cookie is being set by us. However, it is important to remember that our services may not function properly if your cookies are disabled.
4. Accessing and Updating Your Personal Information
Whenever you use our services, we aim to provide you with access to your personal information. If that information is wrong, we strive to give you ways to update it quickly or to delete it ñ unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business or legal purposes. When updating your personal information, we may ask you to verify your identity before we can act on your request.
We aim to maintain our services in a manner that protects information from accidental or malicious destruction. Because of this, after you delete information from our services, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may not remove information from our backup systems.
5. Information We Share
We do not share personal information with nonaffiliated third parties unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- With your prior express consent: For example, when you establish an account with SLS, we will ask your permission to share your personal information with nonaffiliated third parties so that the third parties can market their services to you and you have the right to opt out of us sharing your information at any time by contacting us at CS@ISLoanSolutions.com or 866.831.5565.
- For external processing: We will share personal information with our partners, affiliates or service providers in the performance of services on our behalf. These entities are required to comply with agreed upon confidentiality and security measures.
- For legal reasons: We will share personal information with nonaffiliated third parties if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- Meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process (e.g., subpeona) or enforceable governmental request.
- Enforce this Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- Protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of SLS, our users, service providers, and the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners, affiliates or service providers. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services.
6. Information Security
We work hard to protect SLS and our users from unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of information we hold. In particular:
- We encrypt many of our services using SSL.
- We regularly review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems.
- We restrict access to personal information to SLS employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated by SLS if they fail to meet these obligations.
SLS does not guarantee or warrant the security of any information transmitted to us. You send us information at your own risk. SLS shall not be responsible for any harm that may result as a result of a breach of confidentiality in respect to any use of this site or any information transmitted to this site.
7. Preventing Identity Theft
In order to help us protect your personal information, it is important that you always keep your account information safe. Never share your username or password with anyone, under any circumstances.
SLS will NEVER initiate a request via email for your sensitive information (e.g., Social Security number, username, or password). We will ask for documents to be uploaded or faxed when a meeting is scheduled. If you receive an email asking for your sensitive information, you should be suspicious of the request and promptly contact us at 1.866.831.5565 to report the suspicious activity.
Please be aware, however, that in certain telephone, in-person or online transactions we may ask for your full Social Security number, or other information before conducting the transactions you have requested. For example, we may ask for such information in order to begin our application process to get you enrolled with our services. Additional information regarding identity theft and the steps you can take to help protect yourself from fraud can be found on the Federal Trade Commission website.
8. Children’s Privacy
SLS sites are not directed at children under the age of 13. We operate our sites in compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act and will not knowingly collect or use personally identifiable information from anyone under 13. However, we will accept and store data on minors as part of the application information required in order to provide our services.
9. When This Notice Applies
10. Compliance and Sooperation with Regulatory Authorities
We regularly review our compliance with our Notice. When we receive formal written complaints, we will contact the person who made the complaint to follow up. We work with the appropriate regulatory authorities, including local data protection authorities, to resolve any complaints regarding the transfer of personal data that we cannot resolve with our users directly.
Our Notice may change from time to time. We will post any Notice changes on this page and, if the changes are significant, we will provide a more prominent notice (including, for certain services, email notification of Notice changes). We will also keep prior versions of this Notice in an archive for your review.
12. Contact Us
For questions regarding our privacy practices, contact us at CS@ISLoanSolutions.com or 866.831.5565.